An $85 booth in a market can generate thousands of dollars in sales over a weekend. There are a number of vendors at the market who work as little as 2 days a week and make a good living for those part time hours.
Did you know there are grants and loans available for you to start a business?
We can help you with that!
Step by step:
1) Assess your business concept and help develop it
2) Assess your marketing needs (they’re free when you have a booth in the market!)
3) Help you put together a business plan
4) Help you apply for loans and grants
5) Make sure your booth looks good, and can be found by customers
6) Plan a launch event/grand opening for your business
7) Get you off to a great start as a small business owner
We want you to have a successful booth , it’s good for you and it’s good for the market.
For this reason we have prepared the following road-map/checklist to help guide you to a successful business venture!
Feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you might have about picking a product or service, setting up a booth, getting your marketing started.
1. DO SOME RESEARCH
– what does the market already have? What don’t they have?
– is someone in the marketing already selling what you want to sell?
– some markets will only allow one vendor of a certain type in the market at any one time, so consider a different product or service.
– go to the market and look around, what booths are busy, which booths aren’t?
– who are you trying to sell your items there, do you see potential customers for your business?
– talk to the market manager, they can give you great insight into what works and what doesn’t.
– how does the traffic flow through the market, can you get into high traffic area?
– can you get your booth beside a busy booth?
2. ONCE YOU HAVE A GREAT IDEA, DO SOME MARKETING
– you’ve picked your business idea and you’re going to book your booth now make sure to get the word out.
– plan a grand opening weekend with contests, prizes, give aways and discounts – something to make it fun.
– how about a celebrity personality signing autographs? They get paid by signing autographs and merchandise, you just have to book them spread the word they will be there.
– use social media to tell everyone you know about your booth and your grand opening weekend.
– give yourself 3 or 4 weeks in advance of opening to get the word out.
– use our free in house marketing to run promotions and contests, it makes a big difference.
– make sure you provide pictures and information to the markets social media marketer to get the most out of that service – it’s free advertising and it matters!
3. YOUR BOOTH MATTERS
– your signage should be as professional as you can afford. It doesn’t have to be fancy, or a vinyl sign, it can be hand built, but make sure it looks good.
– ask if you can paint the wood around your booth – sometimes it’s just bare and unfinished, painting it can make a big difference in how your booth looks.
– cover your table with something bright and eye catching.
– additional signage – explaining the services you offer, or some great prices/deals you may have.
– a small TV – running videos and pictures of your products and sales information – we will help you produce those video’s for free!
– lighting – consider bringing in some fun LED lights or other types of lighting to make your booth stand out.
– display cases – if you need display cases, ask the market manager, he may know where you can find some.
– your business may be small to start, but these are important aspects to making your business look successful and professional.
– ask yourself, “would I buy something from this booth? If not, why not?”
4. LEARN HOW TO SELL
– being friendly, smiling at people, encouraging people to stop at your booth help a lot in the sales process.
– educate, offer free samples, don’t be too aggressive, but don’t expect people to realize they need what you’re offering until you tell them!
– educating customers regarding your product or service is part of the process of selling. Video’s are a great way to educate and sell at the same time.
– have signage that highlights great deals so people will stop to inquire is also helpful.
– learn how to “haggle” or make a deal – some customers want a bargain! Giving a customer an item “tax free” or $5 off or 50% of a second item can really help boost sales.
– if someone is buying from you, check and see if there’s anything else they are interested – this is called “multiples” and can really boost your income.
– return policy – have a clear and fair return policy. Tell the customer what it is. Honour it.
– look at what is selling in your booth and figure out why, have more items in this category if possible.
– look at what is not selling in your booth and figure out why, consider selling off these items to clear space.
– is there a booth in the market that is doing well but closing up due to retirement, moving into a larger facility, etc? is this something you could take over.
– ask the markets Social Media Marketing person for statistics on posts and contests related to your business as well as marketing ideas and free services.
– ask the markets social media marketing person to do a customer poll/customer to find out more about your ideal customers and how to attract them.
6. BE REALISTIC AND DETERMINED
– don’t expect your business to take off overnight although it can happen, you’ve got thousands of potential customers looking for something good to buy.
– it can take time for shoppers to become familiar with your booth, services and products, so smile and educate!
– don’t expect the market to be busy all day or every weekend, traffic goes up and down, but be ready to sell when the customers are there.
– when the market is slow, clean and organize your booth, come up with marketing ideas to promote your booth, do your own social media posting.
– keep trying new things, new products and services until you find the ones that “sell themselves” drop the stuff that no one wants.
– if you can’t run a booth on your own, if you need help, find some partners to share the booth with, or hire an employee – the market may have some names for you!
– keep reviewing your marketing and products to ensure the most effective
We want you to succeed, if you’re successful, the market is successful. Check out www.simplesocialmobile.com for a list of the services you will have access to when you join the market.
7. HAVE FUN
– markets have a high level of community and socialization, make some friends while you’re there!
– make your sales approach into a game – try different ways of connecting with customers, keep a tally of which ones results in a favourable response or a sale!
– think of fun ways to let people know about your booth and then use social media to get the word out.
– count your cash at the end of the day and know you are a successful business owner!
Running a successful booth at the market can be social, exciting, fun and profitable! Take some time to learn what works, plan for success and reap your rewards!
Check out the comprehensive list of services you will have access to as a vendor in the market! Free Marketing Services